Join the Beyond Differences® Team!
We’re on a mission to end social isolation in middle school and develop leadership skills in 7th-12th graders by empowering student leaders to change the culture of their schools. Together, we can help create a world where every student is accepted, valued, and included by their peers.
If you’re determined, creative, and passionate about building a culture of belonging for everyone, you’ll fit right in.
If you have any questions regarding the job postings below, please contact operations@beyonddifferences.
Our Current Openings
Your Title Goes Here
4 Youth Leadership Fellow positions
Reports to: Director of National Youth Programming
Status: Temporary, non-exempt, part-time employee
Looking to Hire: 4 Individuals
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Sart Date: May 2023
Application Deadline: May 31, 2023
About Beyond Differences
Beyond Differences’ mission is to inspire and empower students nationwide to end social isolation and create a culture of belonging for everyone. Founded in 2010, Beyond Differences® is the leading expert, and only organization in the United States singularly focused on ending social isolation and creating a culture of inclusion for youth. Beyond Differences is student-led and committed to empowering youth to become activists by helping them build awareness and leadership skills related to acceptance and belonging. We provide schools’ Transformative SEL curriculum to help end social isolation and loneliness and build community.
Beyond Differences® is hiring four Youth Leadership Fellows to support the National Youth Programs Department in running the National Teen Board, building out national cohorts, admissions and their annual Activist Academy. This will be at least a six (6) month commitment, ending in August 2023. The ideal fellow will have strong cross-cultural communication skills in both informal and formal settings. Under the supervision of the Director of National Youth Programming, the fellow must be self-directed, mature, easy-going, and efficient.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
National Impact Projects (50%)
- Manage assigned National Impact Project alongside National Teen Board members.
- Track and ensure deliverables are on time and in required format
- Attend and co-facilitate National Impact Project meetings virtually twice a month
- Schedule and assign National Impact Project meetings, roles & responsibilities to teen board members
- Mentor teen board members virtually and connect them to resources
Activist Academy (30%)
- Attend, in-person, 4-Day overnight Activist Academy, July 2023 in SF Bay Area
- Co-lead and facilitate possible breakout sessions
- Chaperone on-site or off-site activities/excursions
- Co-create SEL trainings for teens
General Support (20%)
- Attend all National Teen Board meetings (monthly virtual meetings on Sunday afternoon)
- Maintain and update all contact lists
- Keep our time management system (Asana) up-to-date
- Manage and execute all mailings
- Scheduling and administrative task for upcoming events
- Order and organize all retreat, academy and virtual meeting materials
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Fluent in spoken English
- Access to internet connection and a working laptop
- Proficient oral and written presentation skills
- Experience working on multiple projects with deadlines
- Understanding of Beyond Differences mission and programs
- Interpersonal skills. Multicultural competencies, ability to work with diverse populations
- Service orientation, active listening, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to multitask: verbal communication, written communication, organization
- Demonstrated interest in youth leadership
- Ability to successfully complete a background check
Compensation & Benefits
- Hourly rate $21/hour
- 10 hours per week, schedule negotiable, except Sunday meetings
- 4-Day Activist Academy in July 2023 that will increase to close to 40+ hours
- Paid sick leave
Fellows will be trained to become mentors
in the following SEL areas:
- Youth Mentorship
- Health and wellness education
- Public speaking & media training
- Cross-cultural communication
- Arts Education
- Classroom management
- Curriculum building
- Youth leadership
Fellows will gain experience in the
- Time Management (Asana)
- Strategic Planning
- Event Planning
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest, specifically why you feel that you are a good fit for this fellowship. Please email to Reina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Beyond Differences. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2023
Beyond Differences® is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. A security background check will be included in the hiring process.