Stand Up for AAPI Youth During COVID
National Advocacy Campaign and Back-to-School Curriculum
WE ARE CALLING ON EVERY SCHOOL IN THE UNITED STATES TO ADOPT THE STAND UP FOR AAPI YOUTH CAMPAIGN TO INSPIRE ALL STUDENTS TO GET TO KNOW AND STAND UP FOR THEIR CLASSMATES.
Background of Campaign
Know Your Classmates®, a Transformative Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) curriculum and national advocacy campaign, was originally created by Beyond Differences® and the Islamic Networks Group in 2016 to combat the rise of hateful language and bullying against Muslim-American children in the run-up to the Presidential election. This initiative underscored the fact that marginalizing one group of children based on nothing more than their faith, religion, race or ethnicity must not be ignored in school communities because it affects every student.
Sadly, we are seeing a new population of young victims — Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) children. The COVID pandemic and current political climate has fostered racially-fueled attacks across the country against these children and their families.
This is no joking matter:
- AAPI children are being treated like they have the plague
- Age groups being affected are elementary, middle and high school
- The attacks are taking shape as bullying, physical assault and trauma
- Certain officials and members of the Administration refer to the Coronavirus as Kung flu
Learn more and get involved
In The News!
- NBC National News – Program Aims to Protect Asian Youth from COVID-19 bullying, gets Kamala Harris’ support
- Yahoo! News – Program aims to protect Asian youth from COVID-19 bullying
- SF Gate – Regional: Schools Asked To Fight Racism And Stereotyping Especially During Pandemic
- KGO-TV ‘Fresh Off the Boat’ star Hudson Yang talks how to stop hate, racism against Asian Americans
Educators, Parents and Students bring Know Your Classmates® to your school this fall! Sign up today to receive the all-new 2020 Know Your Classmates® resources featuring new Stand Up for AAPI Youth During COVID lesson plans HERE.